{I Heart NY: The High Line}

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

{I Heart NY: The High Line}

We all have those places that feel magical, right? Well, The High Line in New York City is one of those places to me. I discovered it first in 2009 and still remember the excitement as we walked up 10th getting closer with each step like it was only yesterday. A mile and a half long, the park stretches along an old elevated railway line, which had been disused since 1980. Walking through the park provides stunning views and a small space of calm from the buzz below; for me this simple experience was such a delight. Yesterday the Guardian posted a fascinating history gallery of The High Line railway through the ages, more of which you can find out about here, and for total High Line geeks, there is a book as well! Here are my favourites, plus a sneaky photo of me visiting the park in the summer of 2009, which was taken where the park passes West 17th Street. Have you been to The High Line? What places feel magical to you?

Top right, first panel: Joel Sternfield; middle left, second panel: me; all others: Paul Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment